A dog owner becomes a parent and the dog no longer is just any animal, they become a child the dog-parent in absolutely no time; you name them, feed them, play with them, stand with them when they are sick. Your pooch becomes the centre of your life and is no less than your child with an equal attention-seeker and drama of their own league.
Such is the Dachshund. A cute breed to look at you go “Ooooohhh” in zero minutes. And they are absolutely adorable to watch!
The Dachshund likes to have fun all the time and is goofy in his activities that find him guilty in a lot of situations. With their cutesy and making-your-heart-melt eyes, Dachshund, a jovial little creature, all free-spirited in their habits are a delight to just sit and watch and admire this pup with a smile.
But! They can be a serious pain-in-the-ass too! Nevertheless, there’s no such thing that makes the parent of a Dachshund melt more than the way this creature droops it’s head to say he’s sorry because he did the one annoying thing Dachshund’s do: – chew things off.
A despicable canine behaviour, Dachshund’s chew things off more worse than other breeds. Call this the inquisitive or curious nature or anything, Dachshunds chew almost anything off that they poke with their nose.
Yes, it’s annoying and puts the parent off like anything; however, there are some ways devised to stop your Dachshund dogs from chewing things and these are how: –
- Don’t put your Dachshund’s mood out or show him down by calling them ‘a bad dog’ or saying ‘no-no-no’. it makes them feel bad and makes them sad about it. Instead of saying these, replace the things they are busy chewing with their favourite toy and see their reaction. Praise them for it, too.
- Train your Dachshund a little. You need not even shell out big bucks to get professional help. Just lightly teach them basic yes/no things without being too strict. Teach them basic like, ‘leave that’, ‘come here’, ‘don’t go that way’. Taking this route should make your baby stop putting things to their mouth when you tell them not to
- There are certain smells that almost all dogs despise and hate. It immediately puts them off. For Dachshunds, it’s Bitter Apple scent. Dachshunds absolutely hate it and it acts as a repellent for them. Put it on things that are bad for your doggy and could choke him to keep him off of those things.
- Most Dach’s take course of this habit out of boredom. Encountered mostly by working parents, Dachshunds resort to chewing things to pass their time. So make some time and take them out to loiter around and maybe a little exercise round or so that they play around with their friends. [Read: 10 signs of boredom in dogs]
- Some Dachshunds are extremely curious in nature and constantly poke at things, touching them till they lick it and finally chew on it to get a hold of it. They do it mostly because of the excessive energy in them. To relieve this, take them out for a nice walk.
- Dog chews. One of the most basic measures you can take to keep your pet from chewing on much essential things.
So, go! Tell your Dach what a good boy he is for not eating your things up!